WE WOULD LIKE TO SEE YOU FOR AN ADHD ASSESSMENT
Regarding costs, please note that assessments for ADHD and other neurodevelopmental conditions are very time and resource intensive. These conditions overlap in many cases and require significant expertise in assessment.
I use NICE guidance for ADHD assessment as a minimum standard but add QbTesting for all children. This is 'gold standard'. Read further regarding QbTest LINK.
2. A typical ADHD assessment will include requesting and reviewing ADHD rating scales (parent and teacher), school reports, QbTest and a 90 minute detailed neurodevelopmental history and examination. Please be aware that in some cases the story can be complex that requires additional time and evidence to clarify.
3. If your child has already an ADHD assessment / diagnosis by another service and you now wanted to discuss a trial of medication, I will need to ensure that I agree with the diagnosis first by interviewing you and your child in clinic (F2F) and reviewing all the assessment reports. Depending on the evidence provided, I may request a QbTest to satisfy myself regarding diagnosis and when considering medication. Contact GMG for costs and availability.
4. Please note that assessment for any conditions other than ADHD and any general inquiry regarding your child's health and development will require a separate new 90 minute consultation.
SHOULD MY CHILD SEE A PSYCHIATRIST OR AN ADULT SPECIALIST?
As an experienced Paediatrician I can assess and diagnose ADHD. However, for complex cases where there are significant worries about mental health such as depression, self-harm and suicidal ideation, I would recommend a Psychiatrist. I can suggest one or two. Also, if your child is coming up to their 18th birthday then it may make more sense to see an adult specialist.
CAN YOUR REPORT BE USED TO ACCESS EXTRA EDUCATION SUPPORT FOR MY CHILD?
Although I have seen your child on a private basis, I am a working NHS Consultant Paediatrician, and as such, there should be no good reason for my report not to be acceptable as supporting evidence. However, I would advice that you check with your Local Education Authority or your local Information Advice & Support Services Network
CAN YOU DIAGNOSIS/IDENTIFY OTHER CONDITIONS SUCH AS AUTISM, DYSPRAXIA AND SENSORY PROCESSING DIFFICULTIES?
1. For autism, I can certainly do an assessment and advice on whether it is likely but for a formal diagnosis this usually requires a team approach using standardised autism diagnostic tools. A young person may have autism and ADHD together. For appointment and likely costs please contact me.
2. For 'motor dyspraxia' (Developmental Coordination Disorder) I recommend an initial assessment by a Paediatric Occupational Therapist followed by a medical assessment by a Paediatrician. If the former is done then please contact me regarding likely costs.
3. For sensory processing difficulties ( I do not use the term disorder) you will need an assessment by a specialist paediatric occupational therapist.
WILL MY INSURANCE COVER MY VISIT?
At the moment I do no work with any private health insurance companies. If your insurance provider is able to cover costs you will need to pay us directly and then claim back from your insurer. I am really sorry for the inconvenience.
WHAT IF I NEED TO CANCEL MY APPOINTMENT?
This is perfectly ok, as long as you notify at least 48 hours in advance. Please let me know as soon as you can at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Presently I don't have an auto-refund service, but I will manually refund, typically within 5 working days.
Unfortunately, appointments cancelled less than 48 hours notice will be charged at 100% of the full fee.
If you are running late please let me know as soon as possible at email@example.com. If you arrive more than 10 minutes late I may not be able to see you or at least the appointment will have to be cut short.
See T&C's for more details.
CAN I GET A SAME-DAY APPOINTMENT?
At the moment, my ADHD Foundation clinic runs on a Friday and the GMG Clinic on a Monday and Thursday.
I may be able to see an urgent referral on another day but this cannot be guaranteed as I have NHS and Court commitments and depends on room availability.
CAN I STILL SEE A SPECIALIST ON THE NHS?
Yes of course. At your request I can transfer your child's care to the local NHS specialist team, via the GP, or alternatively, continue to provide care alongside the NHS team.
WHY CAN’T WE HAVE AN ONLINE/VIDEO CONSULTATION?
For the first assessment appointment I do insist on a F2F meeting. Perhaps I’m a bit old fashioned but I find that F2F meetings are a lot smoother, allows me to observe your child especially regarding non-verbal communication, minimises distraction and allows me to complete a physical examination.
I do not charge for repeat prescriptions issued following an appointment. The prescription can be picked up from clinic (free) or posted via special delivery (£20 fee). You will need to pay for dispensing at a pharmacy. I try to use the cheapest equivalent medications.
Reference: Children's BNF